Elder D. Andrew Greenman

Our son, Elder Andrew Greenman, has been called to serve in the Mozambique Maputo Mission. He has asked me to create this blog so that you, the reader, can read his letters to home. His current writing address is found below along with the most recent letter.

Monday, November 4, 2013

Transfers

This week was very satisfying.  Elder Mason and I worked incredibly hard.  The sun has been scorching and because of that some rain came on sunday which scared a lot of people into not coming to church.  What have I learned this week?
I've learned more about the importance of inspiring people instead of requiring them to do stuff.  In alma we learn to be bold, but not overbearing.  I've felt as if many of the people I have taught felt as if I was requiring them to change their lives.   The past two weeks much of my personal study has been dedicated to know how to inspire and motivate the families I teach to do what God requires of them.  Before we can motivate someone to make a leap of faith we need to understand the big picture and what they are going through.  Without understanding we cannot help them overcome their obstacles.  One of the differences between requiring and inspiring is understanding.  When I don't take the time to understand everything that is going on in my investigators life, when I teach a commandment and say that it needs to be followed as soon as possible, the investigator will feel pushed to do something that he does not think he is capable of accomplishing.  But, on the other hand, if I do everything I can to understand the investigators situation, then after teaching the commandment they will feel like I know what they are going through and am confidant the Lord will help them overcome the obstacles.  Listening is so important.    Elder mason and I had a goal to have 10 families at church this sunday.  On saturday night we had 15 that committed to come.  On Sunday morning the rain clouds came and we only had 3 full families at church.   

I've grown very much here in the Manga zone and I'm very sad that I'll be leaving tonight at 20 hours.  I'm going back down to maputo and I'll be serving with Elder Brandao from Cape Verde as an assistant to the president.  It's so hard to leave an area like the one Elder Mason and I have.  We have a goal to have 4 families baptized this next transfer.    I'm nervous, but excited to go back to Maputo.  I found out today and I'll be leaving tonight, so basically I have a lot of packing to do.  I know that this is the Lord's work, I have felt his strength holding me up, for my strength is nothing.  There is no way that I'd be able to do all of this without his strength.  The church is true.

—Elder Greenman

Editors Note: I received a note from President Kretly just after Andrew wrote this email and I will include it here:

 Elder David Andrew Greenman has been called as Assistant to the President.  In  this calling he will assist the President on his duties to plan, train and teach all other missionaries.  He was called in this position because he has been an excellent missionary worthy of our trust, he has had many fruits and much success in his missionary work, and has also been a great example for other missionaries. Besides helping in the mission office he has his proselyting area and he will continue doing the work of a normal missionary: finding, teaching, baptizing, confirming and helping people endure to the end.        
This experience will help him develop many skills that are not used only for the mission but for the rest of his life.  Thank you for preparing such a wonderful missionary.  Your continued support and prayers for him and his work are greatly appreciated.  Thank you very much.

With love and appreciation,

President Paulo V. Kretly
Mozambique Maputo Mission




No comments:

Post a Comment