Elder D. Andrew Greenman

Our son, Elder Andrew Greenman, has been called to serve in the Mozambique Maputo Mission. He has asked me to create this blog so that you, the reader, can read his letters to home. His current writing address is found below along with the most recent letter.

Monday, September 3, 2012

Is Dondo To Be or Not To Be?


 I hope veryone is doing well back home.  Wow, it's crazy to think that Elissa is in France now.  Well, Dad, Mom, looks like all your children are running out of the house.  Now you're only left with the three youngest.  I guess that's why you bought Chickens, but I hope you know and understand that those chickens won't be able to replace me.  I recieved an email from Skyler (Elder Greenman) this week saying that he's enjoying the MTC but more than that,  he's become very good friends with another Elder in his District.  Someone I know.  David Wilcox, from Alaska, who also went to Williamsburg Academy. 
Mozambique just keeps getting hotter, and more humid, but at the same time mangos are growing.  Mango trees seem to cover entirely the expanse of Dondo, I think its safe to say that  by this time next month I'll be eating nothing but Mangos.  The other day I tried to fix my camera that the monkey stole.  ....ya...that didn't work.  So I think i'm going to have to buy a new one.  Around here they run anywhere between 5,000-8,000 metacaiz.  In other words, a lot of money which kind of puts me in a bind.  I don't want to spend that much on a camera, but I also don't want to go throughout  my mission without taking any pictures.
Elder Gergetz, who is the Group President here in Dondo, asked me a question on saturday.  He asked me how long I think it would take for Dondo to become a branch.  That question sparked a more serious conversation about Dondo and it's progress, or the lack there of.  We were looking through some old books and found a journal from last year that was being used to record what happened every sunday in every meeting.  We read through it and saw that today, the same people are giving talks, the same people are the only people coming to church, the same people are the leaders.  Basically nothing has happened in a year.  It was kind of a sad realization.  We came to the conclusion that Dondo will probably need to shut down.  We haven't talked to President yet.  Yesterday at church only 54 people showed up  of which only 7 were adult members of which only one is a worthy melchezidek priesthood holder.  Then 14 youth showed up, the rest were all little kids.  We've decided to fast and pray, and work harder than ever before and see if we can turn things around within this next transfer. 
Thank you all for the love and support,
-Elder Greenman


No comments:

Post a Comment