Elder D. Andrew Greenman

Our son, Elder Andrew Greenman, has been called to serve in the Mozambique Maputo Mission. He has asked me to create this blog so that you, the reader, can read his letters to home. His current writing address is found below along with the most recent letter.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

It's starting to get HOT!!!


I thought that Mozambique's winter was hot enough for me, but apparently I'd better just get used to it.  Elder Gergetz's companion still hasn't gotten here yet, hopefully this Friday he'll come.  We've still been walking as three.  It's been hard to cover the whole are of Dondo with just three missionaries. We've had to drop some people that otherwise wouldn't have to be dropped just because of time constraints.  It's been really sad, but at the same time we've been teaching a lot of great families that are progressing. The church here in Dondo has started a little seminary program.  We have two classes, one at 10 and the other at 14.  Elder Lopes and I rotate weekly.  This week I'll be teaching seminary.  Dad,  I've certainly gained more understanding and respect for you as a seminary teacher. haha, it can be hard sometimes when the students come to play, and not to learn. This week has been full of ups and downs.  First I'll start with the ups.

1. Two weeks back we found Candido.  I mentioned him in a previous letter.  He is still progressing!  The second time we came to his house to teach, during the lesson he mentioned that he has a problem with alcohol. (We knew this, because we could smell it on his breath that particular day.)  We hadn't even taught the Word of Wisdom yet but he said that he knows he needs to get rid of that vice.  He says that every time he prays, he feels guilty.  We talked to him about repentance and laid out a plan to help him come off conqueror. 

2.  We had another baptism here in Dondo.  The ordnance was performed in our pool.  Two young men were baptized.  Edson and Jofrisse.  They're two brothers from Balanca.  Balanca is a small town about an hour away from Dondo.  That is, it's an hour if you walk, and they do, sometimes they'll find a ride, or use a bike, but still, It's a sacrifice for them to come. On the day of the baptism Edson asked me to confirm him on Sunday. It was a marvelous and a special experience for me.  I began worrying a lot about what I would say in the blessing, but then I realized that I don't need to worry about it.  The words will come to me in the moment as I listen to the promptings of the Holy Ghost.

3.  More Good news.....I'd like to thank all of you who have been writing letters to me.  I've received many.  Especially from Dearelder.com. Now many of you may be thinking,  Did he really get them?  And why hasn't he written back yet?
Well,  the mail system here in Mozambique is shot.  (In other words, very unreliable)  Regardless, I've decided to give it a try. Today I'll be heading off to a hole in the wall post office and I hope that within the next six months those letters may reach their destination.

4. One more bit of good news.... one of our investigators has a monkey
Bad news
1.  The monkey stole my camera
2.  The monkey then threw my camera
3.  Gravity then proceeded to pull without any ounce of mercy on said object that had been launched from the little palm of said innocent looking monkey.
4. Fourth piece of bad news, camera broke.

Well that wraps up my week.  I hope that all my family and friends are doing well.  Until next week.

-Elder Greenman

No comments:

Post a Comment