Elder D. Andrew Greenman

Our son, Elder Andrew Greenman, has been called to serve in the Mozambique Maputo Mission. He has asked me to create this blog so that you, the reader, can read his letters to home. His current writing address is found below along with the most recent letter.

Monday, December 10, 2012

Packages DO Arive in Mozambique if you plaster enough Jesus Stickers to the Outside


It just keeps getting hotter and hotter here, and the days seem to become shorter and shorter.  So much to do and so little time.  Elder Largent and I had so much to do this week in the Office.   First off, we payed the rents on the 20 of last month so that the money would enter the renters’ accounts by the first of December.  Well,  Salt Lake accidentally rejected three of the payments so we had to redo them, and we’ve had renters calling us like crazy.  We’re thinking that for this month we’ll pay them at the end of this week, that way for sure they’ll go through.  South Africa asked us to get all the payments done before the 15th because of the Christmas Holiday’s.  Speaking of Christmas…I’ll be able to skype on the 23rd .   What time does church start for you so I can know when to call?   I also got the package you sent me!!!   Thank you so much!  I also noticed a Christmas present that I’ve set aside until the 25th.  The funny thing is, is that in the excitement of opening the package I almost opened the gift without thinking.  Elder Largent coughed and asked, “Aren’t you going to keep that until Christmas”   I smiled and set it aside to continue going through the rest of the goodies.  Boy I’ve sure missed American candy. xD
Now that it’s December President has decided to put on a special Zone Conference.  The spiritual message will be short, only about an hour.  Then all the districts will prepare two musical numbers and a funny skit to present.  After that they’ll have a big special dinner.  He asked Elder Largent and I to make a special photo slideshow to present while the elders are eating.  About two weeks ago we asked the Missionaries to send us about 10 pictures each.  President wanted the movie to be an hour long, so naturally that’s a lot of pictures.  Last Thursday night we finally finished putting it altogether with music and all that jazz. (actually “and all that MoTab)  He was leaving the following morning to beira for the first  Zone Conference.  He asked me to save the movie as a shortcut on his desktop (on this computer) So I did then Elder Largent and I headed home because it was already 11 pm.  So the next day we get a call from president and he asked where the Slideshow was.  I told him where I had saved it on his desktop and he proceeded to tell me that it wasn’t working.  That the file only had 2 clips of movie on it.  Naturally , the color drained out of face.  I realized that somehow, when saving the project to his desktop I had somehow lost the rest of the project.    Needless to say, that was a difficult day for me.  I kind of messed up…… This week I’ll be at it again putting everything together so that it’s ready by the next conference next week.
Three weeks ago Elder Largent and I received a reference from the Assistants.  The man’s name was Armando.  He has a wife and a son who is 14 years old.  He has an extremely hard time seeing.  He’s practically blind.   When we met him we could see right off that he’s very strong in his beliefs and Church.  His wife is even more so.  We taught them the restoration.  It was a great lesson and we challenged them to read the book of mormon.  In this case we challenged the wife and son to help Armando read.    The next day he came to church.  His wife and son didn’t, but we were still surprised that he came.  Even more surprised because he showed up 15 minutes early.  Usually people, even member, show up 15-45 minutes late.  For the past three consecutive Sundays he has come to church without fail.  He participate a lot in the classes, especially Principles of the Gospel.   It’s amazing to me that someone so strong in another church would come three times in a row.    Our next challenge is to get his whole family to come.   Last Saturday when we taught him, his wife and son weren’t there.  We reviewed the restoration and the importance of getting an answer about the Book of Mormon.  We challenged him to pray that night and ask specifically if it was true.  On Sunday after sacrament meeting I asked him if he did pray that previous night.  I said that he did, but I still hadn’t received a response.  I asked him what he felt when he prayed.  He said he felt peace.   He was in a hurry, so I wrote down Galatians 5:22 on a paper and told him that he could ask his son to read it to him.  I told him he had received his answer he just didn’t recognize it.   He only has time on Saturdays to sit with us.  I’m looking forward to then when we can once again sit with him and his family.
Elissa,  I heard about your terrible accidente in Paris.   Get better, because we’ve got lots of mountain biking to do when I get back.  That’s not the only reason you should get better, but I think it’s a good one.
Thank you so much for your support, I love you all.
-Elder Greenman
Missão Moçambique Maputo
Correiros Central
Caixa Postal 1166
Maputo, Maputo
Moçambique
Africa

No comments:

Post a Comment