Elder D. Andrew Greenman

Our son, Elder Andrew Greenman, has been called to serve in the Mozambique Maputo Mission. He has asked me to create this blog so that you, the reader, can read his letters to home. His current writing address is found below along with the most recent letter.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012


Hello everyone!!!  Once again this week has flown by incredibly fast.   This past sunday was Fast and Testimony meeting.  It was the most spiritual, and at the same time enjoyable one I've ever been a part of.   First off I'll give some background...
Elder Brooksby, who is going to Portugal,  had appendicitis and had to be taken to the hospital.  Long story short, is they gave him some extremely powerful meds that mess with his head.   During Fast and Testimony meeting so many Elders were getting up and bearing their testimony.  Finally, as one the elders finished, three other elders stood up as if to go next.  Then Elder Brooksby slowly stood up and turned around,  he told all the others to, "Sit down! it's my turn!"  He slowly walked to the podium and proceeded to say that not only is this the first time he's born his testimony in the MTC but the first and hopefully the last time he'll do it under the influence.   After that he said something that really touched me, "You know Elders,  even though i'm heavily drugged, I can still feel your spirit.  Do be honest, I don't even remember how I got into this room.  I remember getting in the elevator, but not out.  But as i've sat in my chair here listening to you, I've felt the spirit overpowering the effects of the drugs"
He proceeded to bear his testimony which was simple and it seemed hard for him to get those feeling in his heart to his mouth. 
Another thing happened on Sunday which i'll never forget.   As our Zone headed off for out temple walk at 2:45 we had just come off the MTC Campus and were at the Crosswalk waiting for the walk signal.  There were some "protesters"  with big crosses there (on public grounds)  and the began to talk to us.  Asking us if we could think for our selves.  One of the men began to "testify" that we were being manipulated and that he once was a mormon.   He had a printed copy of his "testimony" and began an effort to pass it out to the missionaries there.  First off, we had been told previously by President Brown to not speak or interact with them.  That didn't seem to be a problem. Second off,  I laugh inside and ask, "Did those people really think they could get one of us to cave?"   The spirit here at the MTC is so strong,  I feel it every day, and in every hour of that day. I feel extremely sorry for those men who drag those heavy wooden crosses all the way to that crosswalk corner by the MTC, and then proceed to waste their time trying to tear the church down.  I'm glad they do it in the sense that I have the opportunity to gain a great testimony of this work and the divinity of its message.  I know that this Church is true.  I know that the Book of Mormon is also true, and that because I know this, so many other things follow.  I know Joseph Smith was the Prophet of the Restoration, and that Jesus Christ is my Savior.  I know that the Gospel blesses families to and eternal level. And I'm very grateful for my family

-Elder Greenman

No comments:

Post a Comment