Elder D. Andrew Greenman

Our son, Elder Andrew Greenman, has been called to serve in the Mozambique Maputo Mission. He has asked me to create this blog so that you, the reader, can read his letters to home. His current writing address is found below along with the most recent letter.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Experiencing Prayer Like Never Before


May 1, 2012

I can't believe that I'm starting my sixth week here and that I'll be heading for Mozambique 29 days.  Everything happens so quickly.  When I first got here it seemed like May 28th was an eternity away.  Now I look back on the first day I arrived at the MTC.  I was so excited to come. I'm sure my family thought that I was just excited to get out of their sights.  Eversince I could remember I had always wanted to serve a mission, and the moment had come.  I remember that day well, sitting in Isaac's  apartment.  We had arrived at Provo a few hours earlier than my "check-in" time.  The family was gathered together to have lunch before we all walked to the MTC together.  All I could think about, at that time, was that I wanted to be in that Missionary Training Center.  I look back on that day with similar feelings.  Right now, I can't wait to go to Mozambique and spread the word.  Don't get me wrong,  I am loving my MTC experience. 
I've never prayed harder in my life before!  It was just last week when I had an amazing experience with prayer.  I knelt down after a long day and began talking to my Father in Heaven.  It was the first time I felt like I had a real conversation with God.  It was AMAZING!  The Spirit was so strong with me that next day, and I continued to be enlightened by it like never before.  I've learned a lot about prayer.  Not only is it an opportunity to know God's will, but also and opportunity to be accountable.  I've grown and felt the spirit more each day as I begin my day with a prayer, talking with God about what it is I want to accomplish that day, then at night to be able to return to him on my knees and talk to him about how my day went and How I can do better the next day.
I've never studied harder in my life.  There is so much time here each and everyday where I can just turn to the scriptures and study.  The MTC Spirit seems to launch people into spiritual progression here.  I know that as soon as I get into the mission field I won't have as much time to study as I do now.  This just pushes me to study hard and gain as much knowledge as possible. 

I think it's safe to say that now I have a pretty good grasp on the portuguese language.  I think you could say that I'm tri-lingual now.  I love speaking portuguese.  Interestingly enough Spanish isn't mixing in with my Portuguese, but on the other hand.  My portuguese is wrecking my spanish.  I'm pretty sure that when I get back from my mission, it will take me at least a few weeks to speak spanish again properly.

I'm in the MTC Choir now!!!  Big news right!?   haha, not really.  To be in the MTC choir all you have to do is show up the night of the performance and practice for 40 minutes.  Regardless, it's  a great experience! Our Choir Director is absolutley hilarious.  He makes music even more enjoyable than I ever thought it could be.  On Sunday I was able to sit down next to Elder Lake.  He and I sang together and were also able to talk about how things are going back home.  (Speaking of which, is there anyway I could get a ballot for this upcoming election?)

I'm meeting so many new people here at the MTC.  What a wonderful experience it has been to relate and connect with the new Elders who come into our Zone every Wednesday.  Its a weekly reminder to when I came in on the 28th of March.

Until next week I remain ever anxious to serve,
Elder Greenman.

No comments:

Post a Comment